If you’re looking for a good pancake recipe, Alton Brown’s instant pancake mix is one of his better offerings. I make that almost weekly for the kids, usually with the addition of a half cup of chocolate chips.
This morning, I felt like doing something a little different with it, so here’s the modifications I made which turned out pretty good:
- Follow the instructions to make Alton’s mix.
- Use one cup of mix and one cup of whole wheat flour
- Add to the dry ingredients:
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- After you combine the buttermilk/butter/egg yolk mixture, mash up two very ripe bananas and add them to the milk. Whisk to break up the mashed banana lump.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, mix just enough to combine, and make the pancakes!